Looking to open a TGZ file?
Download WinZip to open your TGZ file now.
To Extract your TGZ file
What is a TGZ file extension?
A TGZ file is a result of applying GNU Zip (gzip) compression on a TAR archive. It is also known as .tar.gz format. TAR archives don’t support compression like any other format. So, after a bunch of file is archived into a TAR file, gzip is applied on it to reduce the overall file size, so that it can be suitable for distribution. TGZ files are mostly used in UNIX and Linux systems to backup files and share them over the internet. Keep reading on to find out how to extract TGZ files with WinZip.
How to open TGZ files
- Download and save the TGZ file to your computer. If your compressed file was downloaded from the internet, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip and open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all of the files in the compressed folder or select only the files you want to extract by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Select a destination folder to place the extracted TGZ files in and click the "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in your chosen destination folder.
Unzip TGZ file format on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
- WinZip Mac
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts Compressed TGZ Files—and many more formats
We created WinZip to open and extract TGZ file format, and many more, including all of the following:
- And Zip
Get WinZip now to open your TGZ file(s) then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, file protection and encryption, complete file management and data backup capabilities, simple file sharing by cloud, social media, and more.