Looking to open a IMG file?
Download WinZip to open your IMG file now.
What is a IMG file extension?
Image files a used to store a complete image of a disc into a single file. IMG file extension was developed for this specific purpose. The most common use of IMG file is to store software/game installation files exactly like as they are in a CD or DVD. You can create a mirror of a disk and save it into a IMG file, which will save you the trouble of damaged or lost disk. Also, IMG files can be set up as a virtual disk on your system. That comes in handy when you don’t have a optical disk drive or if a program supports installation from disks only. Try WinZip to open the IMG files as regular archive files by following the steps below.
How to open IMG files
- Download and save the IMG file to your computer. If your compressed file was downloaded from the internet, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip and open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all of the files in the compressed folder or select only the files you want to extract by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Select a destination folder to place the extracted IMG files in and click the "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in your chosen destination folder.
Unzip IMG file format on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
- WinZip Mac
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts Compressed IMG Files—and many more formats
We created WinZip to open and extract IMG file format, and many more, including all of the following:
- And Zip
Get WinZip now to open your IMG file(s) then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, file protection and encryption, complete file management and data backup capabilities, simple file sharing by cloud, social media, and more.