Looking to open a GZIP file?
Download WinZip to open your GZIP file now.
To Extract your GZIP file
What is a GZIP file extension?
GNU Zip files have GZIP extension. It’s a UNIX based open source compression/decompression format which was created as part of a bigger project to develop a compression/decompression utility alternative for UNIX in the 1980s. Still popular among UNIX/LINUX users, GZIP doesn’t support archiving multiple files but you can always compress a pre-archived single file in GZIP format. Just follow the steps below to decompress GZIP files with WinZip.
How to open GZIP files
- Download and save the GZIP file to your computer. If your compressed file was downloaded from the internet, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip and open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all of the files in the compressed folder or select only the files you want to extract by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Select a destination folder to place the extracted GZIP files in and click the "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in your chosen destination folder.
Unzip GZIP file format on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
- WinZip Mac
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts Compressed GZIP Files—and many more formats
We created WinZip to open and extract GZIP file format, and many more, including all of the following:
- And Zip
Get WinZip now to open your GZIP file(s) then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, file protection and encryption, complete file management and data backup capabilities, simple file sharing by cloud, social media, and more.