Looking to open a GZ file?
Download WinZip to open your GZ file now.
What is a GZ file extension?
Files with GZ extension are compressed archives that are created by the standard GNU zip (gzip) compression algorithm. This archive format was initially created by two software developers to replace file compression program of UNIX. It’s still one of the most common archive file formats on UNIX and Linux systems. GZ files have handy features like storing original file name and timestamp, enabling users to recover original file information even after the file was transferred. Also, gz format is often used to compress elements of web pages for faster page loading. Follow the steps below to unzip a GZ file with WinZip.
How to open GZ files
- Download and save the GZ file to your computer. If your compressed file was downloaded from the internet, it may be saved in the Downloads folder in your Documents or user directory.
- Launch WinZip and open the compressed file by clicking File > Open. If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Select all of the files in the compressed folder or select only the files you want to extract by holding the CTRL key and left-clicking on them.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
- Select a destination folder to place the extracted GZ files in and click the "Unzip" button.
- Find your extracted files in your chosen destination folder.
Unzip GZ file format on Windows or Mac
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
- WinZip Mac
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
- Intel 64-bit processor
- Supports Apple Retina Displays
WinZip opens and extracts Compressed GZ Files—and many more formats
We created WinZip to open and extract GZ file format, and many more, including all of the following:
- And Zip
Get WinZip now to open your GZ file(s) then enjoy all that the world's most popular compression utility has to offer, including the easiest and most practical file compression, file protection and encryption, complete file management and data backup capabilities, simple file sharing by cloud, social media, and more.