Why Sign In?
Access your order history, manage your account, memberships/subscriptions and more.
A Makeover is Easy!
With Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo's amazing set of Makeover Tools, you can remove blemishes, whiten teeth, and even brush on a tan in seconds! Retouching Improving the appearance of the people in your photos has never been easier.
What you'll need
- Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo XI
- Sample image PSPPXI_05.jpg (download)
When you complete this tutorial, you'll be able to
- Use the Organizer to open a photo
- Improve the appearance of photo subjects
Open the photo
- Download the PSPPXI_05 image, and save it in your My Pictures folder.
- Once you have the image saved, begin typing the file name PSPPXI_05 in the search box at the top of the Organizer. Your collection of image files is automatically filtered.
- Once you find the sample image, double-click the photo to open it in the workspace.
- On the Learning Center palette, click Retouch and Restore, and then click Makeover.
- On the Tool Options palette at the top of the screen, choose the Blemish Fixer mode.
- Zoom in on the photo so you can clearly see the blemish on the woman's mouth.
- Place the Blemish Fixertool directly over the blemish so that the inner circle of the cursor encloses the blemish, and then click.
Note: If the blemish is still visible, repeat this step. You can try increasing the Strength setting in the Tool Options palette at the top of the screen before you click. To increase the cursor size, increase the Size setting in the Tool Options palette, or you can hold down Alt and drag. Now, pan to the top of the photo, and remove the blemish by the woman's eyebrow.
- Now, let's use the Toothbrush. On the Tool Options palette, choose the Toothbrush mode.
- Zoom in on the woman's teeth. Place the cursor over a tooth, and then click once. You don't actually have to brush - the toothbrush whitens across the woman's entire smile in one click! For a whiter, brighter smile, you can adjust the Strength control on the Tool Options palette.
- Let's smooth the woman's skin before applying a tan. On the Learning Center palette, click the Back button, and then click Skin Smoothing.
- Clicking the button will open the Skin Smoothing dialog. Click in the Before or After preview image to pan the picture so you can see one of the woman's eyes.
- You can control the amount of smoothing by adjusting the Amount slider at the bottom of the dialog box. For this tutorial, the default setting of 50 seems fine. When you're happy with the result, click OK to apply the smoothing.
Paint on a Tan
- Now we're going to jump back to the Makeover tool. On the Learning Center palette, click Makeover, and then choose the Suntan mode on the Tool Options palette. For this one, you'll want to zoom out so we can see the woman's face.
- Place the cursor, and paint a tan on the woman's skin. You can adjust the cursor size by increasing the Size setting in the Tool Options palette, or by holding down Alt and dragging. While painting on the tan, make sure that you avoid her hair and teeth.
Next stepsNow that you've seen how easy it is to retouch the appearance of your photo subjects, you can apply what you know to every picture you take. Trust us, your friends and family will be amazed by how good they look in your photos!