Create your own holiday card
With Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo IX and Corel® Snapfire™ Plus, you can create a truly unique holiday card to send to all your friends and family. Not only will you get to share your photos with the people you care about; you'll be able to amaze them with your creativity and thoughtfulness.
What you'll need
- Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo
- Corel® Snapfire™ Plus
- A digital photo you'd like to use for your holiday card
NOTE: If you have Paint Shop Pro Photo XI you already have Snapfire Plus SE which will work just fine for this tutorial.
When you complete this tutorial, you'll be able to
- Use the Organizer to find a photo
- Fix the brightness and color of a photo
- Work with the Layers palette
- Convert a photo to black & white
- Hand color a photo
- Add a Picture Frame or border
- Work with Photo Trays
- Create a greeting card
Open your photo
- If you know where your photo is stored on your computer, open it. If you need to, you can find it using Paint Shop Pro Photo's Organizer. Begin by typing the file in the search box at the top of the Organizer. Your collection of image files is automatically filtered.
- Once you find the photo you want to use, double-click the photo to open it in the workspace.
- Before we begin, make sure your Layers palette is open. It should be on the right, if it's not just press F8 to open it.
Fix your photo's color and brightness
- On the Learning Center, click Adjust and then Smart Photo Fix.
- Smart Photo Fix automatically suggests corrections for your photo. You can see what your photo would look like with the corrections applied in the after pane at the top of the dialog box. If you like the suggested corrections just click OK. If you want, you can adjust the sliders until you get the look you like. When you're done, click OK.
Create a black & white photo
- From the menu at the top of Paint Shop Pro Photo choose Layers > Duplicate. This is going to duplicate your Background Layer, so we can make it black and white.
- On your Layers palette, you'll have a new layer called Copy of Background. Make sure this layer is selected (it will be blue if it's selected).
- Now, on the Learning Center, click Home, then Effects, and finally Convert to Black and White.
- From the drop down menu, try different filter colors. Each filter will give you a different look, so you can choose the one you like best. You can adjust the strength slider to add more or less contrast to your photo. When you're ready, click OK.
Hand color your photo
- From the Tools toolbar on the left, select the Eraser tool. Now you can let your creativity shine! Start erasing the areas of your black and white photo where you want the color to shine through. In our photo we're going to erase over the scarves and mittens, so you can see their color.
- You adjust the size of the eraser to fit your photo using the sliders in the Tool Options palette at the top of your workspace. Also if you make a mistake you can just press Ctrl + Z to undo, or right-click and paint over your mistake. Paint Shop Pro Photo will 'unerase' that area for you.
- Before we can use our new hand-colored photo in our holiday card, we need to merge the layers. From the menu, select Layers > Merge > Merge All (Flatten).
Add a frame or border
- Let's spice up the photo before we put it on our card. On the Learning Center click Home, then Text and Graphics, and finally Add Frames and Photo Edges.
- To choose a frame, click the arrow next to the thumbnail of the picture frame. Here you can browse through the frames and photo edges. Just click the frame you like, you can adjust it using the options on the right side of the dialog box. When you're happy with the look, click OK.
- If you like, instead of adding a frame you can add a solid color border. On the Learning Center click Add Borders. Click inside the Color box to open the Materials palette, where you can choose your color. You can adjust the thickness of your borders by adjusting the numbers in the Size in pixels. All the numbers will change as long as you checked the Symmetric box. Click OK to apply the border. If you don't like the look just press Ctrl + Z to undo and try it again.
Save your work
- Choose File > Save As and name the picture Holiday Card Photo. In the Save as type area, choose JPG JPEG (this makes it easier to find once we start creating our card in Snapfire). Click Save.
Open your photo in Corel Snapfire
- Choose File > Launch Corel Snapfire. In the upper-right corner of the Snapfire window, type Holiday Card Photo in the search box. Once you start typing, Snapfire will sort through your photo collection and return photos with the name Holiday Card Photo.
- Once you find your photo, drag it into the Photo Tray at the bottom of the Snapfire screen.
Create a card
- Click the Create button on the Task Panel on the left. Now in the Choose a Project area, click Greeting Card.
- On the Task Panel, under Create, click Select Layout. Now, under Style, you can choose a style that suits your card. We're going to use Single-Fold Card. You can also select a layout for your card. Choose a horizontal or vertical card, whichever is best for your photo. In this example we're using V1-b.
- Now click the thumbnail in your Photo Tray and drag it onto your card. You can position the photo on your card using the Position Photos tools on the Task Panel.
- Now click in the Add Text box on your card (if your card has that field). On the Task Panel, you can add your text, select the font, font size, color, and more. Play with the settings until you get the one that looks the best on your card.
Save and share
- Once your happy with the look of your card click the Save button at the top of the Snapfire screen. Give your holiday card a name and choose JPEG in the Save as file type area.
- Now you're ready to print or e-mail your card. Click the Home button at the top of the Task Panel and then click either Print or Share as E-mail. With Snapfire it's easy to spread the holiday cheer!